Constructed from local stone before 1900 by the Woithe family, The Barn at Wombat Flat was built to feed and house the Clydesdale teams that were used to sow and harvest crops before tractors were available.
Di was looking for a quarter acre block for her horse back in 1976 when she was told to go have a look at “120 acres with an old house out at Neales Flat” by the local land agent. When she looked back at the beautiful mangers attached to the huge stone barn she signed on the dotted line! She and Mike got together some months later. Mike had to adapt to ‘dryland’ living after a life built around water but together they have spent 40 years raising great kids, horses, dogs, sheep and crops on this land far from the sea.
The barn has been used for many things over its 120 odd years. It used to have a steam driven chaff mill to grind feed for the teams which would eat from the 16 metre long manger after a day in the fields. Look for the polished posts in the barn where they used to rub their necks! Hay and machinery were stored within the walls too. What is now the kitchen / green room was used for a shearing shed with sheep turned out through the door at the end of the sink. Mike built three substantial stables in the main room in 1986 with help from his father Dave who was visiting from the US at the time. Those stables were used as part of Wombat Flat Quarter Horse stud for 25 years.